Sunday, June 10, 2012

Day 2 of Racing - Time Trial, Cambo-Les-Bains

Well what a day! Today I won the Time Trial!  First time I have beaten my Canadian competitor.

 I was supposed to start off at 3:55pm but they were running about 40 minutes late due to a problem on the course.  I think the local drivers might have been a bit pissed off with the partial road closures. It's interesting here in France, they never actually close the roads for the races, you just race around the vehicles.  So it pays to keep your eyes open and your wits about you.

We had two laps to do and in the end the organizers ended up taking one corner and one speed hump out of the course.  Seems the hand cycles wouldn't have been able to get over the speed hump.  We trikes had 2 laps to do and I was sent off 1 minute after a French girl and 1 minute before Marie Eve.  The first lap I tried to hammer but have enough in reserve to really give the 2nd lap a good go and boy did I give it a go!  I have to thank my coach Helen for all those really hard watt bike sessions that made me feel like throwing up because they certainly worked!

At the finish Peter Day our head coach told me that Marie Eve had caught me by 10 seconds where he was standing at the start of the climb, but at the finish I was 6 seconds fast than her which means I had gained 16 seconds on the 2nd lap.  So this has certainly given me a confidence boost.  I am looking forward to next weekends World Cup because a few more of the fast men will be there so I will be able to not only bench mark myself against Marie Eve but also the men.

Australia has a great day today.
Results for the rest of the team:
Claire McLean won the Time Trial C4/C5 women,
Sue Powell tour leader C4/C5 women,
Simone Kennedy won the Time Trial and is tour leader C1,2,3 women,
Ryan Hughes won the Time Trial C4/C5 men,
Nigel Hughes won the Time Trial and took over the tour leader in H3/H4,
David Nicholas won the Time Trial and is tour leader C1,2,3 men, 
Alex Green 2nd in the WC4/C5,
Jarrad Langmead was 2nd in MT2,
Stuart Tripp 2nd in MH3/4, 
Alex Welsh 7th MH2,
Harley Quinlan 8th MH2,
Bryce and Mark 6th in MB ( not bad considering their front chain broke and they had to run across the line),
Brandie and Kerry 2nd in WB ( gained ground on the Canadians but just beat)

On to the road race tomorrow!

1 comment:

  1. Knew you could do it. Great work. Congrats from KCC

    ReplyDelete