Saturday, June 9, 2012

Day 1 of Racing -Criterium, Anglet

I was so looking forward to finally racing! The first race up was the criterium, however it was on a circuit that was 4.9 km long.  Most criteriums are held on a much shorter course where the racing is fast and furious.  The Trike category had to do 7 laps of this course which equalled 34.3 km.  funny thing is we don't do that much in a road race!  So I approached it like a road race as did all my other competitors.   In the trike category we all, men and women as well as both classes race together.

 I was lined up by the official in the front row along with my French Canadian competitor Marie Eve.  I have to say I was a bit nervous about racing her again as I had seen her results from the last World Cup and knew that she was riding fast.  But as the count down began I knew I just had to ride right with her.  She has learned some English since our last encounter and we were able top talk about working together for the race. 

The first lap most of the field stayed together but then there were about 5 of us that were able to pull away and that included Jarrad the other Australian trike rider. We were taking turns at the front all except one French rider who refused to take the lead. K at one corner the other French rider came to an almost complete stop, I'm not sure how Jarrad didn't hit him and I was behind him so was able to tuck in around the inside and avoid a crash.  That left Marie Eve, myself and one French rider (yes the one who wouldn't take the lead st all). We constantly yelled at him to take a turn but the arrogant so and so refused to even look at us!  At one point Marie Eve just slowed so much that he had to.  It didn't last long though, so Marie Eve and I just kept trying to work together. 

With 2 laps to go, the two of us were working really well together and at the corner to head up the straight Marie Eve took over from me and as I was sitting on her wheel this French rider decided that I was in the way so sprinted up the outside of me and pushed me to the side almost clashing with my trike. Before the race we were told that we were not to take chances, these races are all about experience, so not wanting to crash with this rider I backed off and let him have her wheel.  Two corners later I made a mistake going around the corner and lost too much ground to catch up with the two of them. On the last lap I could see Marie Eve trying to get him to take the lead to the point where she slowed right down and I felt that I could catch up to them.  So I worked my butt off to try to bridge the gap, but unfortunately I expended too much energy and when she finally took over they sprinted away! So I ended up coming 3rd overall out of all the men and women and second within the woman's T2 category.

Jarrad did a great job to sprint away for the other French rider in the home straight to be 4th overall and 2nd male In thenT2 category. I'm now over my nerves about racing Marie Eve as I know that I can do the same speeds that she has been doing.  So I am looking forward to the Time Trial tomorrow!

The Australians had a great day.
Sue Powell won the WC4,
Alex Green was 4th WC4,
Simone Kennedy won the WC3,
Claire McLean was 2nd in the WC5,
Ryan Hughes was 4th MC4,
Nigel Barley was 2nd in MH3,
Stuart Tripp was 5th MH4,
Harley Quinlan and Alex Welsh were both racing in the MH2 and enjoyed the racing (even though Alex was pushed off the road by a vehicle) both finished with the pack,
David Nicolas riding in the MC3 finished with the pack,
our two tandems Bryce and Mark finished well (Bryce has had the flu) and Kerry and Brandie finished after puncturing their front tyre.

3 comments:

  1. Good work Carol. Really great racing experience for you. Damn that French man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great start sis. Keep it up...oooh that nasty french one!
    Love Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I had been there I would have tripped him somehow. Oh, I shouldn't say that but nevertheless he doesn't seem like a good sport.
    Keep going girl. Your start has been great!!!!!
    Love,
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete