Monday, September 12, 2011

Day 4 - World Para-cycling Championships - Denmark

Wow what a day!  When I woke up this morning the first thing I did was look out the wind to see what the weather was like.  There are 3 flags flying outside my window and every day the past week them have been flying at full flight.  This morning they were hanging still!  I couldn’t believe my luck, but would it hold out until 10:45 am?

I had breakfast and then made sure that I had everything packed that I needed and we left at 8:30 am to head to the course.  I was nervous as I was worried about some of the very narrow roads and “S” bends that awaited us.  As far as I was concerned they were alright on the time trial but with a number of trikes trying to get through I figured there would be some that would go off the road.

The morning was good I had my race plan all set and followed it, that is until I took the trike out for a quick ride and ended up cutting up the rear right tyre on god knows what.  So our mechanic Peter changed the tyre, not a problem, I had just over 15 minutes until start time.  Once the tyre was changed I headed towards the start line.  Before you can enter the start area you have to stop at the officials and sign against your name that you are there.  As I was sitting on my trike signing the tyre blew!  It is amazing how loud that is when you are sitting on top of it.  It was now 8 minutes to start time.  I think that every person on either side of the road who was there to watch all said at the same time “Oh!”  I must say that is not what I said, I think mine was more like “shit!” I turned around to head back to our tent and saw that Peter was running towards me.  I yelled that I had blown the tyre and he said he had heard it.  Needless to say my heart rate was rising! But Peter is amazing and within about a minute he had the tyre changed and I was off to the start.  It is a great way to get the adrenaline going!

The start was good, I was right beside my Canadian competitor and to the left of me the reigning World Champion from Germany.  In front of me was the men’s reigning World Champion, so I couldn’t be in a better position.  The start sounded and I went with them, with the first corner only a couple of hundred meters ahead you wanted to make sure you were out front.  We got around the corner safely but behind us there was a huge crash and pile up!  Glad I was out front.  My Canadian competitor was bound and determined to stay with the men and I was able to hold on for a couple of kilometres, but then realized that if I tried to stay with them I would blow up.  The one thing that Peter Day (the head coach of the Para-cycling team) had talked about was that if she was too strong, to not try and keep up but stay ahead of the other women.  I ended up working with a couple of the guys for almost the first lap until they too were too fast for me.  The rest of the race I was on my own and unfortunately the wind decided to make an appearance!

I ended up 2nd, but unlike the other day I was VERY happy with my result.  I had done the best that I could do and believe me tonight I know that I did everything I could.  My body is really sore tonight, but I look at the silver medal and know that I have earned it.  The experience was certainly worth it and I now know what I have to work on for next year.  Marie-Eve, my Canadian competitor is now the hunted and I have the luxury of being the hunter!

It is now time to “do the hard stuff”, because it will bring out the best in me.  I can’t merely embrace the challenges, I have to go out and look for the most meaningful and valuable ones.  I believe that if you choose to the hard stuff and find delight in the efforts you are able to make, you’ll enjoy the richest, longest-lasting and most fulfilling rewards!

Results from the rest of the Australian Team today:

Ryan Huges – C4 – Did Not Finish due to equipment failure
Michael Gallagher – C5 – 8th, only 5 secs down on 1st place!
Jayme Paris – C1 – 1st (medal not awarded due to lack of competitors)
Matthew Formston}
Phil Thuaux            } Men’s Tandem – 22nd
Brandie O’Connor }
Kerry Knowles       }Women’s Tandem – 16th
Michael Taylor}
Craig Parsons  }Team Relay Hand cycles – 6th
Nigel Barley    }

6 comments:

  1. Great going Carol.
    You are an inspiration!!!!
    Congats for a job well done.
    Love,
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic news. Another Silver.... Congratulations, you are in inspiration for sure. xxx Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work Carol, what a great effort, you gave it everthing you had. We are so very proud of you back here. Two silver medals! Looking forward to our dinner to celebrate your achievements. Love you lots, Naomi x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Cow, Carol, you did it again.
    Congratulations. I don't think in my
    life time there has been anyone who has inspired me as muchas you.
    I love you.
    Aunt marjorie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Carol, you have done yourself and Australia proud. You are an inspiration to so many. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unbelievable! What a fantastic result particularly when you were riding a bike made from lead. Just wait until you get your new lightweight flyer; they won't see which way you went. Truly an awesome achievement - congratulations, Bill Younger

    ReplyDelete