Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day 3 - World Para-cycling Championships - Denmark

I must have crashed last night!  I was so tired after my time trial that I didn’t wake up until 6:50 a.m.  Now most would think that was early but for me who only sleeps about 5 hours a night it was huge!  I slept a whole 8+ hours!  When I woke up my body was extremely tired and my legs felt like they weighed double what they do, time to definitely recover.

First was to head to breakfast but after that it was time to get on the trainer and spin my legs out.  It felt good to get them moving, but I didn’t do it for too long.  I then spent time stretching and then after heading over to the coffee shop with Kerry, Sue and Sean it was time for a rest.  The best thing I did for my legs was to have Anouska our physio massage them this afternoon, just to get the muscle tightness out!  God it hurts sometimes but boy it feels good afterwards!  The rest of the day was spent resting and looking for results from the Aussie’s that were racing today.  Tonight will be hot and cold showers to help even more!

And what a day Australia had in the Road Race.  Sue Powell rode her way to her second Gold medal in the C4 category, becoming a “Dual World Champion”, absolutely amazing!  David Nicholas won a Silver medal in the C3 category to add to his Gold medal from the Time Trial.  Claire McLean was 9th in the C5 category with a number of riders crossing the line in the same time, Melissa Leckie was 7th in the H2 category, Craig Parsons was 11th in the H1 category, Michael Taylor was 17th in the H2 category, Nigel Barley was 6th in the H3 category, Stuart Tripp was 8th in the H4 category.  So overall, not a bad day at the office.

I am just about to hit the sack to get ready for tomorrow’s race and this time I am racing in the morning.  I am looking forward to that because I am always better physically in the morning, so my Canadian competitor had better watch out!  It will be a hard race due to the technical turns and narrow roads and hopefully there will be no crashes as there were this morning in the hand cycle races!

I am looking forward to the race and the adrenaline will be flowing.  As Charles Lindbergh once said “It is the greatest shot of adrenaline to be doing what you have wanted to do so badly.  You almost feel like you could fly without the plane.”  Well I may not have a plane tomorrow but this is what I have wanted to do so badly for the last couple of months, so hopefully I will be flying!!



1 comment:

  1. GO, CAROL ,GO!!!
    GOOD LUCK, BEAT THAT CANADIAN!
    Love Aunt Marjorie

    ReplyDelete