Friday, July 15, 2011

The First Test

I am about to embark on my first test after my first full month and a half of training as a cyclist tomorrow.

Throughout our lives we are tested.  It starts for us in those early years not only in school but in testing ourselves through every day living.

During our schooling years we are taught lessons and then given a test.  In life we test ourselves every day.   How much better we can we look after our families, how much better can we be at our jobs, how courageous we are and we test ourselves in how tolerant we are.  Actually in every part of life we are constantly tested by ourselves and others.

I have tested myself in so many different areas of life that I have lost count.  I have spent my entire sporting life being tested in so many different ways.  From speed to strength and everything in between.  In some of those tests I have failed and in some I have excelled.

Tomorrow, as I have stated, is the first test for me in cycling after a month and a half of solid training.  I am heading down to Phillip Island to race in a Time Trial.  There are two other Para-cyclists taking part but we are racing with the ‘able’ bodied riders.

I believe there are a number of tests for me in this race, have I gotten stronger, have I gotten faster?  But the biggest test for me is to see if I can finish strong!  As Ralph Marston has written “Start strong, stay strong, and finish strong by always remembering why you’re doing it in the first place.”

I have given myself a goal for tomorrow and that is to definitely ‘Finish Strong’ and this will lead me into the next month and a half of training before I head to Denmark for the World Championships where my goal of 2 gold medals will become a reality! 

This is why I am doing it in the first place!

No comments:

Post a Comment