Monday, July 4, 2011

The Cyclist

I have just finished my first full month of training as a cyclist.  Wow, this is something that I would never have expected even 6 months ago.  It is a real learning curve.

To be honest I have had a hard time thinking of myself as a cyclist as it is such a new thing for me.  I have been a swimmer, a triathlete and a rower, now I can add cyclist to that list.  But I certainly have a lot more to learn.  The one thing I have found are muscles that I never knew I had!  The physio and the masseuse at the VIS (Victorian Institute of Sport) have become my best friends.

I feel very lucky and privileged to have been offered a scholarship for cycling at the VIS for the next year.  Actually, it was through the VIS that I met my cycling coach when she was a scholarship holder there herself.

I felt that I had unfinished business with my rowing career and unanswered questions.  But after not getting the answers I was looking for have decided that it is time to just pack those questions up and put them away.  I am on a new path now and have to just concentrate on it. 

Albert Schweitzer the German theologian said “Sometimes our light goes out but is blown again into flame by an encounter with another human being.  Each of us owes the deepest thanks to those who have rekindled this inner light.”  Well my light has been blown again into flame through the meeting of a number of people in the cycling community.  Those people who believe in me and my ability.  There has been no questioning my age, my disability or my desire to do the best that I can do.  There has just been support and support from every level of cycling.  To all those people who have been supportive and helped ignite that flame…thank you.

With one more quote to finish off, by Ralph Marsden, a motivational speaker,
Don't lower your expectations to meet your performance. Raise your level of performance to meet your expectations. Expect the best of yourself, and then do what is necessary to make it a reality." 
 I plan on expecting the very best of myself and that is ‘Gold’ not in one event but two at the World Championships and I will be spending the next 2 months doing what is necessary to make that a reality.

1 comment:

  1. Way to Go carol. I'm completely blown away with all you keep acomplishing. As always' I'm so proud of you.
    Love Aunt Marjorie

    ReplyDelete