Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Half a Century and Counting


I am still finding it hard to believe that I am now 3 days past 50!  My brain honestly still thinks I am in my 20’s, my body definitely knows that I am not!  But who am I to argue with my brain.

My birthday celebrations seemed to have carried on for just over a week, starting with a lunch at Guy Grossi’s Florentino’s in Melbourne with my friend Peaches.  It was a lovely lunch that went for just over 3 hours.  Then off to the Ballet at the State Theatre on Tuesday night with another friend Justine.  It was actually for both of our birthdays.  Margo (my aussie mom) came to the city Wednesday and we went for lunch with friends Laurie and Kristy on Thursday!  Then the big night Friday!

I had friends from a number of different areas in my life, swimming, rowing, MS and family.  I was really looking forward to all of them meeting each other, so to help them connect I came up with name tags and how I knew them. 
There were drinks, food, cake, cards, presents and then…speeches!!  I was dragged on to a small stage where a number of poems and messages from family in Canada were read and then a couple of friends had their say.  To say I was overwhelmed is an understatement!  I am never lost for words, as most people who know me can attest to.  But on this night I was.  I thought I was prepared, I knew what I wanted to say but when it came time to say it my brain froze.  I wanted to explain how intertwined all these people were, even if they didn’t know each other.  So now through this medium I can!

It all starts with Margo, meeting her and others at the very first World Police and Fire Games in California in 1985.  Because I had met them I was able to come to Australia for a holiday and because of a number of holidays here I met my husband Russ.  Upon marrying I moved here and lived in Fitzroy where I met all my swimming friends and it was these friends, who when I was diagnosed with MS in 1998, were my rocks of support while dealing with this diagnosis.  It was because of my diagnosis that I met other people with MS and the MS staff who were there at the party.  And because of my MS diagnosis I was asked by the Paralympic Committee to take up rowing, hence the rowing friends in attendance.  So there you have it everyone connected in some way!

My actual birthday on Saturday was filled with Skype calls and phone calls from family and friends in Canada and a day off from training.  It was lovely just to be able to spend some quality time with Margo.

But now the celebrations of that momentous day are over and life returns to normal.  But I reflect on all the people who helped me celebrate and they are all people who play an important role in my life.  I feel very blessed to have them all for friends.

Ralph Waldo Emerson once said “ The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it’s the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him with his friend.”

Thank you all for a magnificent first 50 years and I look forward to the next 50!




No comments:

Post a Comment