Friday, May 27, 2011

Determination

I have had a dream and a goal since the age of 10…to compete at an Olympic Games. I was always mesmerized by the athletes as they marched into the stadium behind the flag of their country and wearing the colours of their country.

I had always been involved in sport of some kind and at the age of 11 was doing gymnastics and thought that this was the way to go.  That is until a very uncaring woman at a very prominent gymnastics club told me I would never make it as I was too fat!  My best friend at this ripe old age of 11, Sharon, had been invited to join this exclusive club but I was turned away.  I remember being crushed and the feelings of utter devastation that I couldn’t go with her. 



But then at the grand age of 12 I started competitive swimming.  I had always been a good swimmer and at my first competition I remember winning my first ribbon.  Actually I still have that first ribbon!  So that was when I decided that I was going to swim for Canada at the Olympics.

It's funny how as children we have no inhibitions and don’t believe that there are any walls in our way.  It is just matter of fact… “I am going to swim at the Olympics”…plain and simple.  So for the next 6 years that is what I did, I swam.  There was nothing I wouldn’t do to make sure I was at training.  I was lucky enough to have very supportive parents and whether they believed I would achieve my goal or not, they never said never!

Unfortunately the Olympic Games that I was targeting was the 1980 Moscow Games and due to political upheaval, the USA decided to boycott these games, so Canada followed right along.  Devastation…my dream was gone!

But determination is a funny thing and with the diagnosis of Multiple Sclerosis I wasn’t going to let life pass me by.  I believe it is your life and your choice and that we must all embrace new opportunities and challenges with confidence and self belief.  I honestly believed that I would make it to the London Paralympics as a rower, but the tide has turned (no pun intended!) and it looks like I am aiming at being a cyclist in London.  My first step in this pursuit is the World Para-cycling Championships in Denmark in September.  If I can medal there, I know I will make it to London.

I am sure that there are some people who must think I am absolutely nuts!  But I believe that you should pursue your dreams at full throttle, you can’t worry about what people think.  With determination and the right attitude you can achieve your goals.  Michelangelo once said “The greatest danger for most of us is not that we aim to high and we miss it, but we aim to low and reach it.”

Determination is the result of desire and it doesn’t matter how mundane your goal might seem to others, if it is important to you, then go for it!  Who would have thought back in 1980 that 32 years later that dream would be just about to come true?

Remember, you’re never too old to make dreams come true.  I am living proof of that!




1 comment:

  1. Julie TomljenovicMay 27, 2011 at 3:19 PM

    Will you have a Canadian flag tucked away somewhere too?

    ReplyDelete