Monday, January 3, 2011

The Gift

Well the silly season has come and gone and I am sure that everyone has received many gifts that they can or can't use.  It seems that we spend so much time looking for that "perfect gift" for our husbands, wives, parents, kids and friends.  But do we ever get it right?

It is funny how stressed we get at this time of year when trying to decide what to buy for people.  I usually have all my shopping done relatively early because I usually have to send it to Canada.  But this year because I was going to be with my family I decided to wait until I got to Toronto.  Wow what a mistake!!!  I try to avoid shopping centres during these times but couldn't help but be in them this year.  Never again!!!

Christmas is supposed to be a joyous occasion but you would never know it looking at the people who were out shopping for "The Gift".  I certainly didn't see many smiles on faces or laughter in the crowds, just people who wanted to find "The Gift" so they could get the hell out of the mall and back to the comfort of their home!  But it just wasn't in the malls it was on the roads as well.  People in such a hurry that no laws would stop them from getting what they needed to so they could once again get home.  It really doesn't matter if you speed, go through red lights, not stop at stop signs and god forbid you should have to signal!  No get there fast so you can get home.

It wasn't just on the shoppers face that I noticed this but the staff in the stores.  I was in Walmart and asked an employee how much something was.  Jokingly I said to her "Oh I thought it might be free because there is no price on it".  Her reply "As far as I am concerned you can take everything for free, I am over it!"  She then proceeded to get the price for me.  It wasn't like I didn't try to smile, wish people a Merry Christmas and say have a good day...they just weren't interested.

So after all this excitement of Christmas shopping, how many of us got "The Gift" that we wanted or can use?  I know that this is probably a touchy subject for many because the last thing we want to do is upset people.  But what do we do with the things that we really can't use?  I for one was impressed with the gifts that I got!  I am able to use every single one of them!  Oh except maybe the Tim Horton's Donuts gift card!  But I know someone who will love it when I leave.

There are two gifts that I received that were not bought and they are gifts that I will forever cherish.  The first was from my sister Cindy.  For those of you who don't know her she is a film maker, and an award winning film maker.  Because most of her documentaries are only shown in North America I have never seen any of them except maybe 2 and she gave me a DVD holder of every film she has written, produced and directed!  I can't wait to sit down and have a movie night...so beware friends in Australia!

The other and probably best gift was the gift of spending time with my family.  Not just my immediate family but aunts, uncles, cousins and second cousins!  But add to that my friends (who are family to me!) who I saw while here in Canada.  Absolutely nothing can compare to the time I spent with everyone!

I really hope that everyone was able to receive "The Gift" of love, friendship and memories like I did while here.  There is nothing in the world like it and you don't have to be in hurry to get there, but you can savour the smiles and cheers that goes along with spending time with those people most important to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment