Sunday, January 23, 2011

Friendship

I was sitting at breakfast this morning after a fantastic row on the Yarra River.  I was sitting with 9 other women and our coach (the only male in the group), we were celebrating his birthday.  It was the most perfect morning with the sun shining, 24 degrees, but very humid and everyone was happy and relaxed.  It suddenly struck me how fortunate I am to have friends like these women in my life!  We come from all different backgrounds and walks of life yet there is something that binds us together.  You could say it was the rowing, but I don't believe that.  Rowing is what brought us together but there is more to it than that.  That is what got me thinking.    It isn't difficult to take the first step to friendship.  All it takes is something that you may have in common, like rowing.

Then I started thinking about all my other friends and it is true we all have something in common, some like or dislike which ties us to that person.

The funniest thing is that for those of us using technology mediums (and that would be most of us), such as Facebook, we ask people to be our "Friend".  But how many of these people really are true friends?  I think that most of them are "Aquaintances".  A true friend is someone who knows your dreams, your beliefs and the song in your heart.  They will be there for you always, in happy times and in sad times.

Cheryl and I at Christmas
My best friend Cheryl, lives so far away but she is always in my heart.  No matter how long it has been since we have been together we seem to pick up right where we left off.  It isn't like we haven't seen each other in a couple of years, rather, it's like we saw each other the day before.  I think that our friendship has stood the test of time and distance because a good and lasting friendship demands respect, courtesy and understanding.  Something that we both have for each other.  I think I could get through life without many things but my life without friendship would be unbearable.


I read a quote somewhere "Birth gives us life, but friendship gives us something to live for."  The power of friendship is amazing so I would like to thank all those women who are my friends.  Friendship doesn't just fall into our laps, it takes time to nurture.  But once we have that friendship it is difficult to wriggle out of it!

Don't wait until your friend is leaving to discover just how special they are to you and make sure you tell them.  To all my friend's thank you for being you!

1 comment:

  1. Carol,
    Words to live by. Love the picture. Cheryl

    ReplyDelete