Sunday, November 13, 2011

Star Struck

When I headed to the Sunshine Coast in April this year for the Australian Para-cycling Championships never in my wildest dreams did I think that a short 7 months later I would receive an invitation to the Jayco Australian Cyclist of the Year Awards.  So when I received an invite back in October I was a bit taken back!  I decided not to go because I had been cycling for such a short time and to be honest probably thought I didn’t deserve to be there.

Then one week before the awards, the list of nominations for all the awards came out and bugger me…I had been nominated in the Female Para-cyclist of the Year category.  However I was up against Sue Powell, 3 time World Champion this year and a Tandem pair who were also World Champions on the track.  I knew that Sue would win the award with 3 World Titles and a world record, she really was unbeatable!  But all of a sudden I wanted to be there!  A quick email to Cycling Australia told me that there was not a seat to be had, but that they would put me on a wait list.

Well Monday night I got the email that there was a seat available and they had to know right away. First thing I needed to do was book a flight…that done I let them know I would be there.

I am so glad that I went, what a fantastic night!  I felt very privileged to be in the company of some of the world’s best cyclists and all of them Australians.  I had mentioned to the people I was sitting with that I had to get a photo with Cadel Evans.  Well one of the para-cycling coaches Sian Mulholland, without telling me, approached Cadel and asked him to come over to the table.  She introduced me as a dual silver medallist from the World Championships at which time Cadel put his hands on my shoulders and said “I know what it is like to win silver.”  I told him it was the wrong colour and that next year would be different.  He then posed with me for photos! WOW I wanted a photo but this was amazing!

I was lucky in that I also had pictures taken with Anna Meares, Australia’s and the world’s best track cyclist!

In the end Sue Powell did win Female Para-cyclist of the Year and very well deserved!  And I am happy that I did attend, it was an amazing night. 

Australia has amazing athletes who don’t forget their origins.  They may live all over the world and be world class names but they appreciate the accolades of their home nation and proved to me that they are willing to chat and have photos taken with newcomers to the sport like me!


Me with Anna Meares




Cadel mentioning knowing about winning Silver


3 comments:

  1. Out hobbnobbing wit the physically fit and fitter! You certainly deserve to be there. Keep pedaling! Love cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol,
    It sounded like you had a wonderful time.
    What an honour to have your picture taken with these top athletes.
    You look very proud to be in their company.
    Good for you.
    Love,
    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. How proud we are of you, Carol.
    You look fabulous as always.
    Keep on pedaling.
    Love ,
    Aunt Marjorie & Crawford

    ReplyDelete