Thursday, December 2, 2010

Things Don't Always Go According to Plan

As we are growing up and getting to the end of our schooling, deciding what we want to do with our lives we plan everything.  We decide things like...Do I go to university or start working or maybe travel?  What do I study?  What will I do for a living?

I did exactly that and had my whole life planned out...or so I thought.  But just remember...things don't always go according to plan.

I planned my working life, joining the Toronto Police Force, following in the footsteps of my parents.  Moving through different areas of "The Job" and thinking that this would be my life long career..  But remember...things don't always go according to plan.

I found that I was tired of "The Job", travelled to Australia to figure out what I wanted to do with the rest of my life and ultimately met my husband.  A move halfway around the world was the next step.  This was certainly not what I had expected in my life, but remember...things don't always go according to plan!

On April 23rd, 1998 at 2:15 p.m. I was bluntly told "You have MS, go home and put your affairs in order before you become incapacitated".  Boy things certainly don't always go according to plan!

With all these changes in our life's plan, the actual changes aren't important but the way we deal with them is.  We can decide to curl up and die or we can embrace them.  Some of the changes that we face are good and some are bad and life isn't always going to be fair.  How we deal with those changes is what is really going to make the difference.

So to all those parents whose children are about to embark on adulthood please make sure that they know that things don't always go according to plan.  But that isn't a bad thing.  Make sure they understand that it is important to grasp every opportunity that comes their way, never give in to self doubt, ignore critics and chase their dreams...

Because sometimes in life things can change and don't always go according to plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment